Method & Curriculum
VTS Facilitation Method 101
In VTS discussions, teachers support student growth by facilitating discussions of carefully selected works of visual art.
Teachers are asked to use three open-ended questions:
- What's going on in this picture?
- What do you see that makes you say that?
- What more can we find?
3 Facilitation Techniques:
- Paraphrase comments neutrally
- Point at the area being discussed
- Linking and framing student comments
Students are asked to:
- Look carefully at works of art
- Talk about what they observe
- Back up their ideas with evidence
- Listen to and consider the views of others
- Discuss many possible interpretations
Curriculum & Materials:
- All VTS curricula are sequential and developmentally-based
- Grades K-5 include 10 lessons per year
- 2-3 images per lesson
- After Grade 2, students make one museum visit per year
- Purchase VTSweb subscriptions or classroom curriculum materials here.